Other examples of worksheets in teaching mathematics with European movies:
- Englishman who went up a Hill But Came Down A Mountain.
- Smilla’s sense of snow
- Logic series
- Agora movie
- Presentation of Agora Movie
- Clips of Agora movie focus to mathematician concepts
Other resources for using media and films in teaching and learning process:
- At Media & Learning Conference in Brussels – 12-13 December 2013, the Flemish Ministry of Education Headquarters, Organiser: (ATiT, Leuvensesteenweg 132, 3370 Roosbeek, Belgium). Mrs Beeban Kidran shifted the attention to the relationship between film literacy and education. She discussed the initiative of Film Club, that started on the simple premise that ”if young people watch a film for 90min, have an opportunity to discuss and write about it, they would learn (indirectly from the film) but they would also discover the passion to learn.” In these after-school activities, a variety of films were seen together, discussed and debated by students and their teachers. The initiative has elevated our understanding of how people relate to films and brought about several unexpected consequences: (i) it gave teachers the opportunity to get to know their students in a different way, (ii) it created an infrastructure and database of films with information about what might work in a particular environment and context and (iii) it also created curiosity about how students develop their taste. Film club members see stories, form and meaning, reminding them they live in a global world. http://www.media-and-learning.eu/files/pdf/media-and-learning-2013_synopsis.pdf.
- In Scientix Events: Medea Awards on STEM&Media and learning conference (March 2016) presented the latest developments, services and uses of media in education and training. More information about the event: http://www.media-and-learning.eu/home. Media and Learning News highlights general news and information about the use of media in education and training including interesting publications, events, initiatives, websites, projects, tools and information about various festivals and other competitions related to the use of media aimed at the education and training sector: http://media-and-learning.eu/newsletter and http://media-and-learning.eu/workshops/media-supported-stem-education
- Also, to Scientix newsletter of March, 2016: Includes a section on Media in STEM education: Lessons of media enriched teaching and learning experiences you could find many useful resources and references, identify the importance of how to use media in our STEM classroom (http://files.eun.org/scientix/newsletter/Scientix%20Newsletter-Mar-16.pdf)
- Smithikrai C. (2016), ‘Effectiveness of Teaching with Movies to Promote Positive Characteristics and Behaviors’, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences 217 (2016) 522 – 530, Available online at www.sciencedirect.com.
- Casper, W. J., Watt, J. D., Schleicher, D. J., Champoux, J. E., Bachiochi, P. D., & Bordeaux, C. (2003). Feature film as a resource in teaching I-O psychology. The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist, 41, 83-95.
- Salomon, G. (1979). Interaction of media, cognition and learning: an exploration of how symbolic forms cultivate mental skills and affect knowledge acquisition, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Websites of interest: http://ndishoke.blogspot.gr/2013/06/benefits-of-using-media-in-teaching.html